Sunday, May 15, 2005

Happy birthday to me

On a brighter note we celebrated my 41st birthday yesterday.

I started the day in a daring way by getting onto the bathroom scales to find that I am near the top end of my acceptable weight range with a BMI just under 25. (That was a relief!) I feel pretty good in general these days as long as I get a good night's sleep. Sleep deprivation is one of my biggest fears about the coming arrival. (If you are squeamish look away now! I suffer from IBS and lack of sleep can make it decidedly worse. So I am making the most of restful nights while I can.)

We celebrated my birthday with a trip on the Folk Train from Manchester to Hathersage. This is a regular train with folk musicians playing in one of the carriages. Our friend Sophie put in a request which resulted in the musicians treating me to a rendition of Happy Birthday sung by the whole carriage. Nice.

The musicians and audience alighted at a sunny Hathersage for a pub lunch which I enjoyed with a pint of the guest ale. On returning to Manchester we paid a visit to Urbis in Manchester which I have to say I found pretty disappointing. Still, we then spent the evening in semi-slumbers and watching movies. Which, all in all, seems a very happy birthday to me.