Monday, October 03, 2005

Grouchy again

We visited my Mum and Grandmother on Saturday. Oliver was on his best behaviour all afternoon. Later, in the evening, my Mum offered to babysit allowing Hayley and I to grab an hour alone in a local pub to eat dinner together: our first time alone and away from Oliver since his birth. We are acutely aware of how easy it could be to nurture and cherish Oliver but neglect our own relationship, so we jumped at the chance to have a bit of time together.

The next day (yesterday), Oliver was grouchy pretty much all day. It was exhausting and demoralising. It has got to the stage where Hayley is today monitoring how much time he spends asleep/feeding/content/grouchy/crying etc. I spoke to her a few minutes ago and she said he has been very grouchy all morning.... and that's usually his happiest time.

We find ourselves asking what is wrong with him and what have we done wrong to make him like this! I feel bad that I am at work and Hayley is left with him all day. She works so hard with him and it breaks my heart that she is left alone to deal with him when he gets like this.

We are also wondering whether it is the oral thrush that is bothering him. Or maybe the medicine, which seems to be having no effect anyway!

At least at the moment he is sleeping reasonably in the night. Apart from getting us up for his feed he is sleeping through... I pray this continues!

Well, I'm tired (but Hayley must be more so) and I need to work so I'll sign off. We are trying hard to enjoy our little son who will soon be a month old already. But it's hard to enjoy him when he seems so unhappy himself.