Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Image0325_cropped

We are experiencing a cold snap here in the north of England at present. We have had Siberian winds and snow since before Christmas with only a brief thaw between Christmas and New Year. It snowed again last night. This time a splendid 6 inches or more!

As you might gather I rather like this weather. I detest the drab and awful drizzle and temperatures of a few degrees above zero that we usually get. This is much better.

Of course the country has ground to a halt as we are perennially and woefully under-prepared. We are even running out of grit for the roads! Not that it has stopped me. Oh no, I cycled to work today.

Image0321

The side roads and tracks were fantastic as I crunched through the fresh snow. Only the main roads were a touch tricky as cars wanted the clear tarmac tracks and I ended up a few times crossing into packed bumpy snow at the edges at an oblique angle which can be hairy.

But all in all I loved it and arrived at work with a smile on my face, much to the amazement of many. (Actually the place was half empty.) The section of my commute that follows the river was particularly beautiful.

DSC03080
DSC03082

Meanwhile, Hayley and the kids built a fantastic snowman outside our house. Isn't she a beauty!

Image0329

And the weather forecasters say it is going to last another week. Woohoo!!!!

1 comments:

Jessi said...

I'm with you. I love the snow.

Beautiful pics.

Post a Comment