Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Let's get your wind up, Dad!

As I've mentioned elsewhere in this blog, we often address Oliver by lots of names other than the one on his birth certificate. (All polite of course!) Recently, to my eternal shame, I have started to address him with the catch phrase of the leathery faced permanently tanned walking fashion faux pas that is UK TV host David Dickinson. Yes, for the last few days I could be heard saying to Oliver "Who's Daddy's little Bobby Dazzler"! (Or if he's grouchy and fighting sleep he becomes my Bobby Grizzler.)

So it must seem rather ridiculous that we do our best to never call him "Oli" and would prefer it if no-one else abbreviates his name either, though I never correct anyone. (Well I haven't so far anyway!) It just seems a shame not to use the whole of the name we gave him.

To be honest I think what matters is not the name people use when they address him but the way in which they do it. I've noticed that our frioend Dawn calls him "Oli", but to be honest it doesn't bother me at all because she is also so lovely with him. She has even bought him a few little presents for no other reason that she just thought he'd like them.

People keep saying how much he looks like me, which I have finally started to see just a little in his expression sometimes. But I CAN see my Dad in him. We were joking that it was because they had about the same amount of hair (mostly at the back and sides) but now that his hair has grown back he still looks like him to me. Sometimes at night when I am holding his cheeks trying to wind him and he sits there with his eyes closed I have to laugh because it is like holding a mini version of my Dad.

Of course he looks like Hayley too. He especially has her cute nose!

But overall he has a look that is just his own. Every day I am amazed at how beautiful he is and how much I love him. I just hope I can convey it to him and make him feel safe with me. Tonight he got unusually grizzly and overtired. Eventually I managed to calm him. The thing that sent him to sleep was me stroking his temples. It was a lovely feeling. Often I feel; he feels more secure with his Mum, so it was nice to see him happy in my hands.

Time to go: the master is waking for his last bottle of the day.