Saturday, September 10, 2005

I changed a dirty nappy!

A big breakthrough this evening when Oli took about 50 consecutive sucks on Hayley's breast. He seems to be getting the knack of it. He still goes to sleep given the chance and we spent much of his previous feeding time wetting his head and blowing on it to wake him up. He is still having cup feeds too. The routine is: breast feed for 20 minutes when so far he has not taken very much; then cup feed expressed beast milk, then top up with formula. Hayley is on a treadmill of feed, nappy, put down, express, then the cycle is almost ready to start again! Fortunately while I was there today (about 10 hours) I was able to do some leg work.

I changed my first dirty nappy! He pooed as I tried to clean him and wee'd in the air. Hayley was doubled up laughing. Good to see him pee though as we had no proof he was urinating until last night. I loved changing him. As I did it I thought how I have waited my whole life to do this. It's probably the happiest I will ever be to do it but it's a good start.

Mum and Del came to see him this afternoon. Mum has done some lovely classic Pooh bear illustrations in water-colours, based on the original E.E. Shepherd drawings from A.A. Milne's books. We are delighted with them. They will look great in the nursery.

Hayley is expressing well: 20ml as I left tonight. She needs to get more sleep though.

Overall I am loving it all. I sat alone with him tonight when Hayley went to the loo. He was drowsing in my arms. I told him I hope he has a great life and that we'll do all we can for him to make it great. I love him so much. Finally I have my family with Hayley and Oliver and I feel my life truly has begun.