Tuesday, December 06, 2005

14lbs 13 ozs

Oliver was weighed again today. His weight has shot up, putting him the 75th percentile (from the 50th last time). This is more in line with his height (85th percentile) and his head size (91st percentile).

I'm starting to notice his weight too. A couple of weeks ago I took a day off work because I had hurt my upper back. I don't know quite how I did it but I suspect it was leaning in and picking him up out of his cot: a movement that violates all good lifting practice (not that I have a choice)!

Every time I feed him I notice how heavy he is getting. I can still carry him around on my shoulder but he's getting strong and using only one hand feels less secure than it did. He really dislikes being cradled in my arms nowadays. The only time I get to hold him like that is after feeding him in the night. Any other time he cries and wriggles. It makes me a little sad as it's almost as if he feels he's too big to be cradled like a baby any more and yet he's only three months old!

It's rare that he'll just sit on my knee too. The exception is when he can see the TV which he loves. What he really likes though is to be held up under his arms so he is standing up and then to dance about. This is one of the best ways to make him giggle. I can only do this for about 5 minutes at a time though as he is so heavy. Then when I sit him down again he whinges! Still, it save money on gym membership I guess.