Friday, December 09, 2005

"What's all this illness business!"

Yesterday evening Oliver was uncharacteristically upset for much of the time. He seemed to have come down with a slight cold. He spent most of the evening lying across my chest either crying or sleeping. Finally he drank his bottle (with little lack of appetite) and then went to sleep.

It must be strange for him to experience illness for the first time. He has had no signs of any ill health before yesterday, the day when he turned 3 months old. I can't help wondering what his little mind makes of it all.

Tonight Hayley is out at her company's Christmas party. ALthough he cried again he wasn't as upset as last night and to my relief he went straight to sleep for me when I put him to bed. (Before that though we watched England draw Sweden, Paraguay and Trinidad & Tobago in their 2006 World Cup Finals group.)

I can hear him breathing on the baby monitor as I type. Every time I hear him make a noise I stop mid-senetnce: frozen in a moment of anticipation and semi-terror that he might wake in tears (which he never normally does to be fair). I'm crossing my fingers that he has a restful night.