Saturday, January 21, 2006

Harder than a Rubik cube

I never liked Rubik cubes. I guess I never had the patience. I couldn't see the attraction in spending all that time putting something into order for no other purpose than the ordering itself. I mean, why on earth would I be doing that if I could be playing my guitar and writing songs instead!

But these last few days I've been reminded of such puzzles. Any kind of puzzle in fact where getting one piece in the right place seems to cause another piece to pop out of its right position.

Last night and tonight (touch wood!) we seem to have had a small breakthrough putting Oliver to bed. The improvement seems to be down to giving him his number one toy, "Julien", when he goes to bed. He grabs him, bites his nose and sucks his ears and is generally calmed by having him there with him.
Julien


But having achieved that small step forward, he has started (this week) waking around 5.30am and crying. This morning he did so repeatedly until 7am when he seemed to be wide awake after only nine and half hours sleep, so we had to get up.

On top of this, we have started to give him a little food, but after Hayley carried out some more research today in Borders, we are wondering whether this is the right thing to do after all. Apparently, starting him too early could increase the chance of him suffering from allergies.

And now he has just this second woken up crying after less than two hours sleep! Rubik cube? Simple!