Sunday, April 03, 2005

Ch ch ch ch changes

1. "I don't care if I never buy another mountain bike, we have to get them."

These were the admittedly slightly rash words I uttered in Mothercare when my growing enthusiasm for all things infant started to run out of control. We had just test driven our chosen buggy and now I was admiring a mobile to hang above the baby's bed that featured the original Winnie The Pooh characters based on E.H Shepard's illustrations in A.A. Milne's book (rather than the Disney versions). I have a feeling this outburst could come back to haunt me!

2. Quickening!

Back in week 16 or 17, Hayley was lying in the bath one evening when she suddenly "felt something". This was the first time she thought she might have detected movement. Week 17 is very early, especially for a first-time mother (unless it's twins) so we decided it might have just been a grumbling tummy. But the same feelings grew stronger. "Like bubbles" was her best description. A few evenings ago she suddenly let out an exclamatory sort of "woah!" This time the feeling was closer to someone drumming inside her. She had no doubt this time that she was feeling the baby move. Unfortunately it's too early for me to be able to put my hand on her belly and feel it too. A few weeks more before that happens.

3. Sometimes a question isn't really a question at all.

This can also be explained as "the pregnant woman always gets her way".
Hayley: "Shall we have X or Y for tea?"
Steve: "Let's have Y."
Hayley: "Really? Don't you think we should have X?"
Steve: "OK let's have X."
Hayley "Yeah, that's what I thought too. Let's have X."
You can replay this scene in any number of situations and it still works. Shopping, eating out, choosing something for the baby... Not that I mind. In fact it has become a bit of a standing joke between us.

4. Action!

I have finally stopped talking about sorting out all our storage problems and started to do something about it. I have been to the local tip numerous times and have managed to dispense with much "stuff" that we were previously hoarding quite unnecessarily. Furthermore the garage is starting become a place with room to work again as the stuff that can't be tipped accumulates in large stackable crates down one side instead of sprawling across the shelves and floor. The only thing I've been unable to bring myself to dump is my semi-functional combo amp/speakers which I have had since I was 16 and which has been to almost every gig I did during my 20s when I played guitar in numerous bands. It's currently nestled in the corner of the garage. It may yet lose its spot.