Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Lullaby

I've written songs since I was about 16 years old. Unsurprisingly then one of the things I've always said I would do when I had a child would be to write a lullaby for him/her.

A few nights ago as I drove home from the tip, listening to The Archers on Radio 4, a simple melody came to mind. When I got home I picked up the guitar and worked out some chords to support it. By the end of the evening I had a couple of simple verses and a few days after that I added a little middle 8 instrumental section.

It's a shame that I don't have my PC and keyboard set up to record at the moment as it would be nice to record it properly and see if I can make it sound in reality as it does in my head.

Anyway, I'm really quite chuffed to have written this little ditty. It's rather twee as songs go but I think that's how a lullaby should be! I know it's a wildly romantic thing to want to do but I'd love to be able to sing it to our baby after it's born. And if our little darling don't scream the house down in response that will be nice too.