Monday, October 03, 2005

Little Buddha

Sometimes when I am sitting feeding Oliver at night, holding his chubby cheeks while I wind him, he reminds me of a little Buddha. That's become his new nickname: Little Buddha. Tonight as I fed him I started to sing the Buddhist music from the CD that we had played throughout Hayley's labour. We joked that perhaps that music had influenced his character in some way. I suggested buying him some orange robes. I'm sure it doesn't seem funny in writing but this scene had us laughing uncontrollably as he sat serenely drinking in my lap, bouncing up and down with my laughter.

After feeding him I had a blissful few minutes with him, lying in my arms looking up into my face from a distance of about 6 inches. I love it when he makes those little cooing noises that have started to appear.

Tonight he has been amazingly contented. He threatened to get grouchy a couple of times but we managed to placate him with the swing, then a dummy and later his bouncy (vibrating!) chair. In between all that he had a bath which he loved (though he hates getting out - don't we all). Four hours after his last feed he started to demand some milk. I added breast milk to this feed and for some reason (maybe the taste? maybe just wind?) he became very unsettled. Thankfully Hayley has calmed him and now he is just finishing the last drips from the bottle which had nearly 6oz in.

Hayley spoke to the health visitor today and got some Infacol to help with possible colic. Contrary to what we had previously been told, colic can vary greatly in severity and it's possible that's the cause of his distress (though it still seems odd to me that sometimes he can be placated for several minutes).

We've noticed that the breast milk doesn't fill him so much so it will be interesting to see how long he sleeps for after this feed.... assuming he does choose to sleep! He was grumpy this morning when he is usually happy. Then relatively content tonight when he is normally grouchy. Who knows what fun the night holds!