Monday, January 16, 2006

Laughing boy

First the mundane (but essential) stuff. Despite getting a bit overtired and crying while getting changed for bed, Oliver went to bed quietly and has been asleep for 35 minutes without a murmur. (Sadly he was flat out when he went into his cot rather than awake - despite my best efforts to talk to him and blow on him - but at least he was happy after his bottle.)

What I really wanted to record was the fact that he laughs at the oddest things. It's impossible to know why. I continually make up daft songs for him to keep him entertained as I hold him up in front of me when he gets sick of sitting or lying. His current favourite is the following:
"You are my little son,
You weigh a metric tonne.
Oh me, oh my,
Did you eat all the pies?"
He can be ignoring me completely but when I sing this he looks straight at me and laughs.

The other sure-fire chuckle-starter at the moment is to hold him in the air, smell his nappy region, then say "Poooooo smell-yyy!"

Hayley took him to Weightwatchers tonight where they stayed on after the weigh-in for the lecture. Oliver sat on her knee, well behaved. But when the lecturer told her audience "you need to cut down on alcohol", he laughed out loud, causing much mirth in the room. The fact Hayley was tickling him to keep him (and her) amused may also have contributed to his giggles.