Thursday, February 17, 2005

Scantastic day!

Yesterday we had the first scan and it was without doubt the high point of the pregnancy so far for me. (See the picture below.)

The moment the sonographer placed the instrument on Hayley's belly I could see the baby so clearly! And almost immediately it moved, propelling itself upwards. What a feeling to see it! I guess it must be the same for everyone, but we immediately had the biggest grins on our faces. The feeling was one of undiluted elation.

Afterwards we got a couple of pictures and took one each to work. It was finally time to go completely public and tell our friends at work and elsewhere. And that has been a huge relief and a huge pleasure.

I walked into the office to find both Dave and Paul there, so I showed them the picture first. It was great to finally reveal why I'd been so interested in Paul's lack of sleep and in the houses for sale near Dave in Bramhall.

I took in all the remaining chocolate from the weekend Valentine party as a way of celebrating. It served as a nice way to bring up the news. Several people (including Matt) came in and noticed the chocolate but not the picture on my desk and asked why I had more chocolate than Charlie's famous factory.

The signature to the whole afternoon was my ever-present grin, probably as daft looking as it was permanent. Not that I cared. And the parade of fathers telling tales of baby woes didn't burst my bubble either. Neither Paul's stories of permanent sleep deprivation, nor Dan's accounts of projectile pooing were sufficient to remove the smile for the entire afternoon.

Today I emailed Chris and also Scott. Chris was surprised. (I'll find out just how surprised tomorrow when I meet him for lunch.) Scott was also taken totally unawares. As was Sophie. Later, at home, they rang us, which was really nice.

A couple of people asked if this meant we were getting married, which I found interesting. For the record, it doesn't mean we'll get married. As I said to one person yesterday, we've made the biggest commitment, getting married would be peripheral to the undertaking we haver already made. Many of the strongest families I know are not ones where the parents are married.

Actually I'm reminded of Eric Morecambe when I think of the order in which things have happened in my life, particularly between Hayley and I. When Andre Previn told him "You are playing all the wrong notes", he countered "I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order".

Tonight I have sent out an email to a long list of friends and there'll be another one tomorrow to Hayley's circle. I wonder what responses they will solicit.