Tuesday, January 25, 2005

"Come here...(sniff sniff sniff)"

Like a sniffer dog on the verge of uncovering a major consignment of Class A drugs, Hayley has taken to sniffing me at every opportunity, usually with a disapproving look on her face. The trendy shaving gel that previously appealed to the pre-natal nostrils now provokes a sneer and prolonged nasal inspection before she walks away throwing me a look worthy of a mangy stray. “It makes me nauseous” is her summary dismissal of my attempt at male grooming.

But it’s worse than that. At home or in the work place there are plenty of scents that no longer pass muster. Even the swimming pool has been deemed as having “that smell”. And the kitchen at her workplace sent her racing out when someone had the audacity to cook something other than a zinger burger. “I don’t know what it was but it was disgusting” was the result of that particular culinary court martial.

But perhaps this is not all bad news. Since Christmas both Hayley and I have managed to put on about 10lbs in weight, so any curb on our ability to sustain this gain in girth might be a good thing. While I can go out and ride my bike at a furious pace to try to burn off the festive foolishness, the mother-to-be is restricted to a gentle swim or very light workout in the gym. This is one of the subjects we plan to bring up with the midwife this Thursday when Hayley has her first appointment, which I also plan to attend. I’m not sure if this is normal or appropriate or will be appreciated by the midwife, but as it’s a first chance to get some questions answered we figure it’s best if we are both there to hear the same answers.

So week 10 starts tomorrow. We’ve just had a really great weekend together and there are many things I could write now, having not written here for a while (blimey 2 weeks!), but I’ll have to settle for “Goodnight!” as Hayley is already falling asleep.